about Storage Enclosure Processors in SAS-1.1

Shogo Hamasaku hamasaku at d1.hw.necst.nec.co.jp
Tue Nov 25 22:58:33 PST 2003

* "Shogo Hamasaku" <hamasaku at d1.hw.necst.nec.co.jp>
*
Hi all,

I think about the directly connectable Storage Enclosure Processors (SEP)
which has SAS interface as follows.
  a) The SEPs are wasteful with a SAS port.
  b) It takes several years that the SEPs are released.

Now SATA-2 standard provides the bridge between SATA and I2C. It is called
SATA Enclosure Management Bridge (SEMB).

I thought it is economical that the expander has a bridge function
like SEMB. Do you have any plan like that in SAS standard?

Thanks,
Shogo Hamasaku
NEC System Technologies, Ltd.
External:(+81)89-947-7901