about the SAS XL state machine

Gil Romo gil.romo at qlogic.com
Fri Nov 14 12:04:46 PST 2003

* Gil Romo <gil.romo at qlogic.com>
*
If phy#A receives a Transmit Open indication before receiving an Arbitrating
(Normal) confirmation, perhaps it should transition to XL5.  The transition
would have been XL0 to XL5 if the OPEN address frame had not yet been received.
The passing requests are handled by the XL6 state.

> From: "Shogo Hamasaku" <hamasaku at d1.hw.necst.nec.co.jp>
> To: <t10 at t10.org>
> Subject: about the SAS XL state machine
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:29:19 +0900

> * "Shogo Hamasaku" <hamasaku at d1.hw.necst.nec.co.jp>
> *
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about the SAS XL state machine.
>
> What do I do with the XL state machine of Phy#A after Step:3?
> I could not find a description about this situation in SAS-1.1 rev.1.
> I think that the XL state of Phy#A depends on the priority of both requests.
>
> Step:1  Phy#A is XL0:Idle
>
> Step:2  Phy#A receives an OPEN Address Frame.
>         Then, XL state machine of Phy#A changes from XL0 to XL1:Request_Path.
>
> Step:3  Phy#A requests a Request Path to the ECM.
>         At the same time, Phy#A recives a Transmit Open request from Phy#B
>         via the ECR, because The ECM has determined to make a connection
>         between Phy#B and Phy#A.
>
> So, I thought that a new state (XL11) could be add to the XL sate machine.
>
> Transition XL1:Idle to XL11
>   - A Transmit Open request is received.
>
> State description about XL11
>   - This state shall compare a Request Path request arguments and
>     a Transmit Open request arguments according to the arbitration fairness
>     comparison.
>   - If a Request Path request is a higher priority, this state shall send a
Backoff
>      Retry or a Backoff Reverse Path response to a opposite Phy via the ECR.
>   - If a Transmit Open request is a higher priority,  this state shall change
>      XL5:Forward_Open.
>
> Thanks,
> Shogo Hamasaku
> NEC System Technologies, Ltd.
>   External:(+81)89-947-7901

Gilbert Romo
Circuits & Integration
QLogic Corporation, Aliso Viejo, California
Office: 949-389-6266
E-mail: gil.romo at qlogic.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org