SPC-3 PR Question

Charles Binford Charles.Binford at sun.com
Fri Nov 14 11:24:05 PST 2003

* Charles Binford <Charles.Binford at Sun.COM>

--Boundary_(ID_63JBpxrvfFcboNmiQmmwjw)

All, I have a question on whether or not a Registration is removed when
an Initiator uses Preempt on his own Key.  I'm reading SPC-3 Revision
15.  In the section where Preempt Key matches a reservation holder the
text clearly says the registration is not cleared.

5.6.2.7.4.3 Preempting persistent reservations and registration handling
If the SERVICE ACTION RESERVATION KEY identifies a persistent
reservation holder....
A PERSISTENT RESERVE OUT with a PREEMPT service action or a PREEMPT AND
ABORT service action with the SERVICE ACTION RESERVATION KEY value equal
to the persistent reservation holder's reservation key is not an error.
In that case the device server shall establish the new persistent
reservation and maintain the registration.

However, in the next section where the Preempt Key does NOT match the
persistent reservation holder the text merely says "It is not an error".

5.6.2.7.4.4 Removing registrations
If there is a persistent reservation and if the SERVICE ACTION
RESERVATION KEY field does not identify a persistent reservation
holder....
It is not an error for a PERSISTENT RESERVE OUT with a PREEMPT service
action or a PREEMPT AND ABORT service action to set the RESERVATION KEY
and the SERVICE ACTION RESERVATION KEY to the same value, however, no
unit attention condition is established for the initiator port that sent
the PERSISTENT RESERVE OUT.

My assumption is that one can never remove your own registration with a
preempt (you register with a zero key), but I'm having trouble finding
words that clearly back up that statement for all cases.

Thanks,

Charles Binford
Sun Microsystems
316.315.0382 x222

--Boundary_(ID_63JBpxrvfFcboNmiQmmwjw)

 Message All, I have a question on whether or not a Registration is removed when an Initiator uses Preempt on his own Key.  I'm reading SPC-3 Revision 15.  In the section where Preempt Key matches a reservation holder the text clearly says the registration is not cleared. 5.6.2.7.4.3 Preempting persistent reservations and registration handling