SPC-3: TransportID Cleanup

Ralph Weber ralphoweber at compuserve.com
Wed May 28 10:15:06 PDT 2003

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
The SPC-3 editing review in Nashua uncovered some problems with the
definition of TransportID values, particularly TransportID values
for iSCSI devices.

TransportIDs are used by Access Controls and Persistent Reservations
as a way for one initiator port to specify an action affecting
 another initiator port.

Upon further review, problems have been found in previously approved
proposal to use TransportIDs to identify initiators in the PERSISTENT
RESERVE OUT when the SPEC_I_PT (Specify Initiator Ports) bit is set to
one.

In all cases, the changes required to resolve the problems are technical
in nature and a proposal to effect them has been uploaded:

   ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.03/03-203r0.pdf

WARNING: The proposal as written includes changes to the PERSISTENT
RESERVE OUT SPEC_I_PT function that are not backward compatible.
Anyone implementing that function should comment on this reflector
if the proposed changes represent a hardship.

Regards,

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org