SAS SMP PHY CONTROL function: PPTV and programmed link rate fields

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 22 11:56:58 PST 2003

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
*

Gerry,
Your comments about using option three would work but I see some problems.
One is that the rules for rounding require you to generate a check
condition. Text from SPC-3

When parameter rounding is implemented, a device server that receives a
parameter value that is not an exact
supported value shall adjust the value to one that it supports and shall
return CHECK CONDITION status with a
sense key of RECOVERED ERROR. The additional sense code shall be set to
ROUNDED PARAMETER. The
application client should issue an appropriate command to learn what value
the device server has selected.

The other problem is that I don't like the idea of a device ignoring
parameters. That can lead to problems in that the initiator thinks the
values are set one way when in reality they are not.

Given that I would prefer option 2 which states a 0 value in a field means
no change to the value.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

                      Gerry.Houlder at sea
                      gate.com                 To:       t10 at t10.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-t10 at t10.org        Subject:  Re: SAS SMP PHY CONTROL function: PPTV and programmed link rate fields

                      01/22/2003 09:24
                      AM

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
I prefer option 3.

However I don't think the DISCOVER function needs to set the bits if the
fields are writeable. If the fields are not writable the "target" end will
just ignore whatever is sent in those fields and use the predetermined
value. If they are writeable the target should round the value sent to the
nearest supported value if the exact value is not supported. This kind of
rounding rule is already described in SCSI. The initiator can discover
whether rounding is occurring (or if the value is even changeable) by doing
DISCOVER after the PHY CONTROL operation.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org