SPC-3 Editing - op x03 RequestSense

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Mon Jan 13 09:33:51 PST 2003

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
I wonder if anyone has publically gotten around to
admitting that the supposedly available
vendor-specific areas of op x03 RequestSense and op
x12 Inquiry data commonly don't survive transport
intact?

Me, I often see Inquiry data chopped off at x24
bytes, and RequestSense data chopped off x12 (or even
x0E).

"Unsolicited" Request Sense i.e. an op x03 that's not
part of auto sense, sometimes chokes altogether.

These limitations collide with the tradition some
vendors have of transporting data in these
ways/places.

Would be good to get the word out that a
vendor-specific op more commonly just plain works or
just plain chokes, rather than trying only to
shoehorn such bits into the data of the merely
standard ops.

Pat LaVarre