03-002r0: Remove SPI from SAM-3 and SPC-3 [a little bit more]

Edward A. Gardner eag at ophidian.com
Thu Jan 9 11:16:44 PST 2003

* "Edward A. Gardner" <eag at ophidian.com>
*
At 20:30 07-01-2003, Ralph Weber wrote:
>* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
>*
>Rob,
>
>I never suggested that REQUEST SENSE be made obsolete.
>I am, however, questioning whether it needs to remain
>mandatory for all device types.

Note that when the UA_INTLCK_CTRL field of the control mode page is set to
10b or 11b, REQUEST SENSE is the only way to clear a unit attention
condition.  Choose one of:

1.  Keep REQUEST SENSE mandatory for all devices and device types.

2.  Complex wording saying that REQUEST SENSE is only mandatory for LUs
that allow UA_INTLCK_CTRL to be set to 10b or 11b.

3.  Saying nothing and leaving the inference as an exercise for the
implementor.

I think everyone's life would be simpler if we kept REQUEST SENSE mandatory
for all device types, but I do have some sympathy for each position.

Edward A. Gardner               eag at ophidian.com
Basil Networks                  719 593-8866 CO voice
1262 Hofstead Terrace           719 210-7200 cell
Colorado Springs, CO  80907     408 635-8741 CA voice

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org