03-002r0: Remove SPI from SAM-3 and SPC-3 [a little bit more]

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Tue Jan 7 17:11:05 PST 2003

There is one other SCSI transport that still uses contingent allegiance
(CA): ATAPI (ATA Packet Interface, defined in T13's ATA/ATAPI standard).
ATAPI devices will still require REQUEST SENSE, regardless of their
command set (most likely but not exclusively MMC).  Perhaps that
requirement could be documented in ATA/ATAPI-7 itself.

Many devices let applications poll with REQUEST SENSE to retrieve sense
data containing progress indication - the status of long operations like
FORMAT MEDIUM or self-test.  I don't think autosense can replace this
usage.  REQUEST SENSE might only need to be required for devices
implementing those commands, though.

A quick web search shows at least one Fibre Channel driver might get
upset if a target chose not to support autosense (but only after it had
trouble delivering the autosense data in the first place):
"The driver now issues a request sense when an FCP_RSP is received with
check condition status, but no sense data (CR#3872)"

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org