Really getting rid of AEN

JimMcGrath at oaktech.com JimMcGrath at oaktech.com
Mon Jan 6 15:42:37 PST 2003

* JimMcGrath at oaktech.com
*

Ralph,

What is suppose to replace AEN (aka AER) going forward?  That is, how does
a target (device server) notify the initiator (application client) of a
change in status unrelated to a command, and especially without awaiting
for a command?

This capability is not physical protocol related, and I don't think is
device type related, and so should be in SAM (if not, then what document
will it be in?)

Jim

PS while I saw the notice of the decision (and vote) to remove AEN in the
minutes, I did not see a proposal on the topic (which would usually address
these sorts of issues).

                      Ralph Weber
                      <ralphoweber at comp        To:       "T10, Reflector" <T10 at t10.org>
                      userve.com>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Really getting rid of AEN
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      01/06/2003 06:23
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      roweber

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
In November, T10 remove AEN [aka AER] from SAM-3.
Now, the time has come for the other shoe to drop.

The really (shall we say) 'interesting' work for
removing AEN is in SPC-3 and a proposal to do the
deed is available as:

  ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.03/03-051r0.pdf

There are little bits here and there that need to
be removed or made obsolete, but there are two
areas where substantial changes are proposed:

  - The Control mode page, and
  - The processor command set.

Enjoy.

.Ralph