Obsolete untagged tasks proposal

dcuddihy at attotech.com dcuddihy at attotech.com
Thu Aug 14 12:42:18 PDT 2003

* dcuddihy at attotech.com
*

Bill,

Ok...  It makes sense that CA is no longer needed as long as transports do
autosense.

Still, why continue with ACA?  the iSCSI folks seem to have done a large
amount of hand wringing WRT ACA, which, whether obsolete or not, is rarely
used.

regards,

david

David J Cuddihy
Principal Engineer
ATTO Technology, Inc.
http://www.attotech.com/fcbridge.html
dcuddihy at attotech.com

                    wrstuden at wasabis
                    ystems.com             To:     dcuddihy at attotech.com
                    Sent by:               cc:     elliott at hp.com, t10 at t10.org
                    owner-t10 at t10.or       Subject:     RE: Obsolete untagged tasks proposal

                    08/13/03 08:32
                    PM

* wrstuden at wasabisystems.com
*
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 dcuddihy at attotech.com wrote:

> * dcuddihy at attotech.com
> *
> Kevin's comment is right on.  Historically, tapes do not support tagged
> commands.
>
> Also: What's the rationale behind eliminating CA (which is in widespread
> use) and leaving in ACA (which is rarely implemented?)

I can't speak for the authors, but given transports with autosense, there
is no real need for CA. As I understand it, CA's main feature is that it
lets the initiator get the status of a "failed" command which the target
was unable to send. With autosense, there is no status info that the
target was unable to send. :-)

I would assume that the elimination of CA is a reflection of all
transports supporting autosense.

Take care,

Bill
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org