Obsolete untagged tasks proposal

wrstuden at wasabisystems.com wrstuden at wasabisystems.com
Wed Aug 13 17:32:10 PDT 2003

* wrstuden at wasabisystems.com
*
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 dcuddihy at attotech.com wrote:

> * dcuddihy at attotech.com
> *
> Kevin's comment is right on.  Historically, tapes do not support tagged
> commands.
>
> Also: What's the rationale behind eliminating CA (which is in widespread
> use) and leaving in ACA (which is rarely implemented?)

I can't speak for the authors, but given transports with autosense, there
is no real need for CA. As I understand it, CA's main feature is that it
lets the initiator get the status of a "failed" command which the target
was unable to send. With autosense, there is no status info that the
target was unable to send. :-)

I would assume that the elimination of CA is a reflection of all
transports supporting autosense.

Take care,

Bill
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org