[t10] op x23 of PDT x00 practically not vendor-specific

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Tue Apr 1 16:21:32 PST 2003

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
Help?  I'm not sure what you mean.

If you will allow me to misquote some ' ' as '.' I can
say in http://www.t10.org/lists/op-alph.htm I see:

as of 2/11/03
..  DTLPWRSOMCAEBK
23  .....O........  READ FORMAT CAPACITIES

I think R = O means op x23 is not vendor-specific for
PDT x05 = R.  I agree with that, sure, but I mean to
be saying op x23 isn't really vendor-specific for PDT
x00 = D.

Ok, so technically speaking, our merely public PDT x00
standard is not incorrect.

We can say some host vendors who massively distribute
their stuff have chosen to ab/use PDT x00 op x23 in a
certain way and a large number of device vendors have
chosen to play along with this ab/use.

But we might confuse less people if we change the next
rev of SBC to admit that here the de facto PDT x00
standard has departed from the de jure PDT x00 standard.

Personally I'm vague on the proper spec-ese.  We need
a polite way to say, uh, yea, we stole a
vendor-specific op back, sorry about that.

Rather than baldly stealing it back, maybe we should
just add an implementation note: "Some SBC device
vendors choose to define the vendor-specific op x23 as
MMC does."

No?

Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre