SSC-2: Discussion of Merits for another Letter Ballot

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Nov 12 08:10:06 PST 2002

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Kevin,

Your understanding of the process is close, but I would like to point out that anyone may submit comments during the public review period, not just "INCITS companies".

The INCITS rules only require the first T10 forwarding be done by the letter ballot voting method (already done) and later, after the public review, require that INCITS approval be done by letter ballot. The other votes may be conducted by a meeting vote.

At this point in the process, T10 needs to vote on approving the T10 letter ballot resolution. This vote is usually done at a T10 meeting, but could be done by letter ballot. While SSC-2 has changed substantially as a result of the T10 letter ballot, that does not mean we need to vote by letter ballot.

There are three ways to make this vote be conducted by letter ballot:

1) The T10 Chair may decide to issue a letter ballot;
2) Five T10 member companies may petition the T10 Chair to issue a letter ballot; or
3) T10 may vote (by simple majority) to request that the T10 Chair issue a letter ballot.

I rarely issue discretionary letter ballots because letter ballots are almost always the slowest way to vote. Also, letter ballots cause a huge amount of work for the Project Editor because of the formal comments resolution process.

I am unconvinced that the SSC-2 letter ballot resolution vote needs to be conducted by letter ballot, so that leaves you with methods 2 or 3.

I should point out that you have several more opportunities to comment on SSC-2 before it is approved:

1) The first T10 letter ballot is not yet approved, so you can participate on the SSC-2 working group;
2) The SSC-2 public review will be open to comments from anyone, including T10 members;
3) Since IBM is a member of INCITS, you may submit an INCITS letter ballot comment through your INCITS member, Ron Silletti.

Regards,
John

PS: The INCITS rules do not address the T10 reflector. While I encourage open processes, it is not essential to copy the T10 reflector on all of the letter ballot resolution emails.

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
Colo Spgs, CO 80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org