AER functionality

Elliott, Robert Robert.Elliott at COMPAQ.com
Thu Mar 28 15:32:34 PST 2002

* "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott at COMPAQ.com>
*
I think the INQUIRY AERC bit needs rewording.

Current:
"The asynchronous event reporting capability (AERC) bit indicates that
the target supports the asynchronous event reporting capability as
defined in SAM-2. The AERC bit is qualified by the PERIPHERAL DEVICE
TYPE field as follows:
a) Processor device-type definition: An AERC bit of one indicates
   that the processor device is capable of accepting asynchronous event
   reports. An AERC bit of zero indicates that the processor device
   does not support asynchronous event reports; or
b) All other device-types: This bit is reserved.

Details of the asynchronous event reporting support are protocol specific."

I think the intention is to identify which processor devices can receive
AERs (with SEND commands), not which target devices can generate AERs
(by whatever method the protocol supports).  The latter can be determined
by checking if any of the three Control mode page AER bits are changeable.

A processor device type probably cannot itself generate AERs, because it
does not define support for the Control mode page.
---
Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
Robert.Elliott at compaq.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org