LUN instantiation question
PJohansson at acm.org
Tue Mar 5 09:03:49 PST 2002
* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
At 06:07 AM 3/5/2002 -0600, Ralph Weber wrote:
>See 5.8.5 (Unit Attention condition):
>... "In addition, a logical unit shall generate a unit attention condition
>for each initiator whenever one of the following events occurs:
>f) The logical unit inventory has been changed;
Ralph, what is the history of this requirement? It seems to first appear in
SAM-2 Revision 11, July 16, 1999.
I have in mind a model where LUs are created at the behest of some client
application with no intention that they be accessible to anyone save the
creator. It would be of no use to notify other initiators that a new LU exists.
So, some questions:
1) What is the "logical unit inventory"? Is it only the LUNs reported in
response to REPORT LUNS? SPC-3 definition 3.1.41 seems to say this. If so,
are LUNs that exist but are not reported by REPORT LUNS exempt from the
unit attention requirements of 5.8.5?
2) Could 5.8.5 be revised to provide exemption from the mandatory unit
attention condition when a LU appears or disappears? I understand the
importance of this behavior for some applications, but also think it's
possible to describe a use model where such reporting is unimportant---even
Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707
(510) 527-3856 FAX
PJohansson at ACM.org
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
More information about the T10