RBC delays op x12 Inquiry?

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Fri Mar 1 10:07:22 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 10:36 AM 3/1/2002 -0700, Pat LaVarre wrote:

>I see RBC strikes the phrase "the standard INQUIRY data should be
>available without incurring any media access delays" from the description
>of op x12.

I go out on a bit of a limb to say this, Pat, since I don't have detailed
notes from the RBC meetings. But I suspect it was eliminated in the spirit
that it didn't have much to say in the first place. That is, it has all the
force and majesty of a "should" ...

Another perspective is that it's not really a standards matter: if it's not
sufficiently important to rise to the level of a "shall", market forces
will determine whether the successful devices return as much data as they
can as soon as they can---or not.

To put it another way, if you are designing a client application program to
execute at the initiator, what possible difference would this
RECOMMENDATION make to your design?

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.