Vendor unique commands

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Wed Jun 26 07:13:23 PDT 2002

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*

Yes, the CDB length and CDB format are also vendor unique. As an example,
my company (Seagate) treats commands in the C0-DF range as 6 byte CDBs and
E0-FF as 10 byte CDBs. There is no assurance that any other company makes
the same interpretation for these op code ranges or that future products
|from my company will use this same interpretation.

                    "Lewalski-Brechter,
                    Norbert"                           To:     t10 at t10.org
                    <norbert.lewalski-brechter@        cc:
                    intel.com>                         Subject:     Vendor unique commands
                    Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
                    No Phone Info Available

                    06/26/02 01:24 AM

* "Lewalski-Brechter, Norbert" <norbert.lewalski-brechter at intel.com>
*
According to SAM-2 and SBC-2 operation codes 0xC0 through 0xFF are vendor
specific. As I could not find an explicit statement about length and format
of these CDBs, I am assuming that CDB length as well as CDB format are
vendor specific, and do not follow the general rules defined for 12/16 byte
CDB in SAM-2. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Norbert Lewalski-Brechter
Research & Development