FC-DA: SCSI command tables

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Thu Jun 20 11:53:37 PDT 2002

HP does not believe SCSI command level requirements belong in FC-DA.

Upper level software generating SCSI CDBs should be
protocol-independent.  We don't want to see FC-DA joined by pSCSI-DA,
SAS-DA, iSCSI-DA, InfiniBandSRP-DA, etc. profiles each defining its own
set of requirements.  The T10 command set standards should define
everything needed for interoperability.  If you think that identifying
specific parameters as required/optional (e.g., select Persistent
Reservation Out service actions) is necessary, let's push those
requirements into SPC-3, SBC-2, SSC-2, SMC-2, SES-2, etc.

The current FC-DA draft wants to make REPORT LUNS required for all
device types; I don't mind doing that, but it should be done in the
command set standards themselves (as has been proposed for SSC-2).

The FCP-2 clearing effects table is an example where a standard tried to
make rules that belong in other standards. It had some errors (when
reviewed by a wider audience) and quickly became out of date.
Fortunately, iSCSI and SRP avoided defining their own, conflicting,
tables, deferring to SAM-n and the command set standards so the effects
are protocol-independent.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology
Hewlett-Packard

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org