questions about wide port

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Tue Jul 23 05:54:25 PDT 2002

Comments inline...

Yes.

> If yes, I have some additional questions.
> For example, the write command progresses as followings, and my
> questions are in 4..
>
> 1. Initiator device opens the target device.
>      The link via Physical Link A-1 through Physical Link B will be
>      established.
> 2. Target device issues XFER_RDY.
>      It goes through Physical Link B to Physical Link A-1.
> 3. Initiator device sends data.
>      It goes through Physical Link A-1 to Physical Link B.
> 4. Initiator device opens the same target device.
>  Q2. Is it allowed to send OPEN through A-2 while the connection
>      via Physical Link A-1 through Physical Link B is already
>      established?

Yes.  The initiator is allowed to try opening another connection
over A-2 if A-2 is free.  The connection may be to the same or to a
different target.

The initiator probably should not try this unless it knows it is
talking to a wide target, because it will just consume resources
and not provide any performance improvements (see below).

>  Q3. If allowed, (1) Does the expander device transfer the Open to
>      Physical Link B after waiting for the close of current
> connection?

Yes.  If the request were from some other initiator, the expander
would do the same.

> or (2) Does the expander device send OPEN REJECT?

No, we don't have a reason code for "pathway is already open
for you, please use that one."

> or (3) Does the expander device recognize the link is currently
> connected and send OPEN ACCEPT?

No, definitely not.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology
Hewlett-Packard

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org