SAS Expander Configuration Proposal 02-279r1

Fairchild, Steve Steve.Fairchild at hp.com
Wed Jul 17 09:50:52 PDT 2002

* "Fairchild, Steve" <Steve.Fairchild at hp.com>
*
SAS protocol WG,

I updated the referenced document (02-279) to include suggested changes
|from the meeting.  I have not separated it into multiple documents yet,
because I would like feedback on a couple of questions.

Would it be more acceptable to add a CONFIGURABLE bit on the Report General
SMP response frame, instead of defining a new device type, edge
route?  Using this approach, the edge device could be defined as having a
configurable route table with a number of slot and index values.  So a new
device type would not be required.  Either an edge or fanout device could
be defined as having a configurable route table.  If it was configurable
the SAS addresses would be reference within the slot and index range supplied.

Also, would it be preferrable to provide a diagram and associated table
showing how the SAS addresses in a configurable edge device would be
referenced by slot and index instead of the program algorithm?  This would
avoid having to dictate a specific algorithm and just indicate the
positional nature of the table.  As discussed this topic could be placed in
an annex.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven Fairchild