FCP_RESID_OVER question

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 10 12:34:36 PST 2002

* "Kevin D Butt" <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>
*

Claude,

If there is a SCSI underrun condition due to the block size being different
|from allocation length we would get an FCP_RESID_OVER condition.

Kevin D. Butt
IBM Tape Products
SCSI and Fibre Channel Microcode Development
6TYA, 9032 S. Rita Rd.
Tucson, AZ  85744
Office:  (520)799-5280, Tie-line 321
Lab: (520)799-2869
Fax:  (520)799-4062
Email:  kdbutt at us.ibm.com

                      Claude PATTEIN
                      <Claude.Pattein at b        To:       t10 at t10.org
                      ull.net>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  FCP_RESID_OVER question
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      01/08/2002 06:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Claude.Pattein

* Claude PATTEIN <Claude.Pattein at bull.net>
*
Hi,

I wish to get some clarification about RESID_OVER.

In FCP-2 spec, draft rev.7, I found, in 9.3 FCP_DATA IU, the sentence :
"If the command requested that data beyond FCP_DL be transferred,
the FCP_RSP_IU shall contain the FCP_RESID_OVER bit set to one"

In the case of a SCSI CDB containing an insuffisent Allocation length, but
with FCP_DL equal to this Allocation length, do I get a FCP_RESID_OVER
Status (due to the troncation of returned data) or do I get a zero Status
(due to FCP_DL = Allocation length) ?

In other words, if FCP_DL always equals Allocation length (of SCSI CDB),
is it possible to get a FCP_RESID_OVER status ?

Tks
Claude PATTEIN
Bull- France
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org