MMC Hex (more)

Hale Landis hlandis at indra.com
Thu Jan 3 13:33:27 PST 2002

* "Hale Landis" <hlandis at indra.com>
*
(please copy hlandis at ata-atapi.com on any reply)

===

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:11:20 -0700, Pat LaVarre wrote:
>Do we here have no more than a cultural collision between Posix
>& Windows folk?  Among those folk, the same words don't mean the
>same thing?  (((-:  The Windows folk are wrong.  :-)))

Could be... But if this was not clear...  Most firmware is written
using C compilers that are barely C/C++ compliant, usually
extended with processor specific options and rarely have a
"standard C library".  So I really don't care about the various
**ix issues here.

I want to know what does Hex really means in MMC-x.  I am
starting to think it was just a clever way for MMC/T10 to say
"this is vendor specific but we really don't want to say that"..
BTW I looked at several other T10 SCSI documents and can not find
any use of "Hex" ("hexadecimal" yes).

===

Dimiter Popoff <tgi_earth at yahoo.com> said:
>Hex 80 = decimal 128. Why do you want to sign extend that?

It is decimail 128 only if ex 80 is an unsigned value.  It might
not be unsigned.  Or maybe it is decimal 80 because it is really
a BCD value.

===

***  Hale Landis  *** hlandis at ata-atapi.com ***
*** Niwot, CO USA ***   www.ata-atapi.com   ***