EUI-48 protocol ID for new VPD page 0x84

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Tue Feb 26 14:15:22 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 10:02 PM 2/22/2002 -0600, Ralph Weber wrote:

>The statement:
>
>   "The VENDOR SPECIFIC EXTENSION ID, a 24-bit numeric value
>   that is assigned by the organization associated with the
>   IEEE company identifier, shall be unique within the scope
>   of the IEEE COMPANY ID as required by the IEEE definition
>   of EUI-48."
>
>[...] problems from the word "shall" to the end of the sentence since
>there is no normative reference provided for EUI-48.

I agree.

>As far as I can tell, if there are to be any standards based requirements
>state here, they will have to come from SPC-3 because there is no other
>standard to reference.

This is my experience to date, that, as you say, the requirements have to
come from the standard itself (in this case, SPC-3). In other documents I
have described that the 24-bit company_ID shall be obtained from the IEEE
and that the meaning of the 48-bit number formed by appending a version
number to the company_ID is the responsibility of the owner of the
company_ID but---in accordance with IEEE tutorials on EUI-48---is expected
to be unique in its usage to identify document(s).

With that in mind, how about:

"The VENDOR SPECIFIC EXTENSION ID, a 24-bit numeric value that is assigned
by the organization associated with the IEEE company identifier, shall,
within the scope of the IEEE COMPANY ID, uniquely identify document(s) that
specify the supported software interface (see
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/EUI48.html for more
information on EUI-48 usage)."

I'm open to other suggestions, too.

Regards,