Task tags in SRP

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Tue Feb 5 21:25:27 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 12:45 PM 2/5/2002 -0800, Gibson, Chuck wrote:

>The task tag is chosen by the host (initiator).  It is considered opaque
>to an I/O controller, and is just returned to the host on an I/O
>completion so the host can associate a completed I/O with whatever context
>it is maintaining for the command.

The SRP draft effectively says the following in clause 6.1 succinctly but
perhaps not as directly: The initiator has an obligation NOT to reuse a tag
value until either a) it has received notification of I/O completion for
the task or b) it has certain knowledge that the task has been
aborted---whether by its own actions or another's.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue