Combined initiator & target names in SAM-2

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Thu Nov 8 20:49:57 PST 2001

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
 From the minutes of the CAP working group, agenda item 4.6:

"In a related issue the initiator and target device names in a SCSI
target/initiator device will be combined to form a single name, subject to
the one per protocol rule as well."

This does not work for SBP; I also suspect that it is, on general
principal, ill-advised since initiator and target functionality are
orthogonal to each other. In representative software stack implementations
for PCs, initiator and target code may be completely unaware of each other.

I suggest that separate initiator and target names continue to be
maintained, as they have in the past. A subsequent excerpt from the CAP
minutes, reproduced below, seems to indicate ample precedent for
maintaining separate names.

"George also asked if the target/initiator device initiator port name and
target port name can be combined in a single name. Jim Hafner responded by
noting that both iSCSI and SRP have different name definitions for
initiator and target ports, resulting in the need for separate, different
names in the architecture model."

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.