BUFE Bit

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Wed Feb 7 21:19:06 PST 2001

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*

Hello Bill,

I can not understand what you want.

You already know the problem that after write command issued, host need to
send synchronized cache command to execute complete write on disc when BUF
is enabled. I think we need not to talk about the reason because it is
drive implementation issue. Anyway, Host shall know the BUFE settiong.

And what is the function that shall be handled automatically by the device?
What is your automatic behavior? It shall deferent with us. You want to go
back before MMC1 period? If you have very good automatic behavior, you must
make your proposal for the document. If you need not to change document,
you must not change our implementation. You can go your way.

Without any actual proposal and explanation by document, you must not
change the document only for your convenience.

Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.

reply to mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com

to:   mmc at dt.wdc.com, T10 at t10.org, mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com
cc:    (bcc: Keiji Katata/Pioneer)
subject:  BUFE Bit

MMC3 subject:
Recently, the BUFE bit (WRITE PARAMETERS MODE PAGE) has been extended to
include CD-R/RW.  There has been some concern raised by host software
people
that this may not work well.

In fact, we do not understand why this has value in the case of DVD-R/RW.
Specifically, providing the host with the ability to switch this feature on
and off may only provide the host with additional complexity and no real
value.

The value of BUFE as it applies to DVD is a subject for RMC/MMC4, however,
let us first consider changes to CD.  Due to the widespread use of CD-R/RW,
we should serve the existing platforms by not changing anything.  When a
device has the lossless linking capability with CD-R/RW, the control of the
feature is best left with the drive to apply during long streamed writing.

It is important to have this function handled automatically by the device.
That insures the highest level of compatibility.  So, I wish to remove the
use of BUFE for CD in MMC3.

Bill McFerrin

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org