BUFE Bit

Bmcferrin at aol.com Bmcferrin at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 12:00:33 PST 2001

* Bmcferrin at aol.com
*

--part1_d.ff1921e.27b30361_boundary

MMC3 subject:
Recently, the BUFE bit (WRITE PARAMETERS MODE PAGE) has been extended to

include CD-R/RW.  There has been some concern raised by host software
people
that this may not work well.

In fact, we do not understand why this has value in the case of
DVD-R/RW.
Specifically, providing the host with the ability to switch this feature
on
and off may only provide the host with additional complexity and no real

value.

The value of BUFE as it applies to DVD is a subject for RMC/MMC4,
however,
let us first consider changes to CD.  Due to the widespread use of
CD-R/RW,
we should serve the existing platforms by not changing anything.  When a

device has the lossless linking capability with CD-R/RW, the control of
the
feature is best left with the drive to apply during long streamed
writing.

It is important to have this function handled automatically by the
device.
That insures the highest level of compatibility.  So, I wish to remove
the
use of BUFE for CD in MMC3.

Bill McFerrin