Limits of CRC-32

Andrew Roy andrewr at eng.adaptec.com
Mon Dec 31 09:05:16 PST 2001

* Andrew Roy <andrewr at eng.adaptec.com>
*
Greetings, all!

SPI-4 draft rev 8, section 11.3 defines the 32-bit CRC used in parallel SCSI.

I have a question about how much data a single CRC-32 "should" be made to
cover.
  I have heard rumors that if a single CRC-32 is forced to cover more than
about
8 kB of data, its effectiveness in detecting errors drops off (that is, more
errors can end up having good CRC and therefore go undetected).

Does anybody have any comments?  References to published papers on the topic
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Andy Roy.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org