Digital Copy Bit Clarification

Gary Laatsch Gary_Laatsch at phoenix.com
Wed Aug 15 10:34:34 PDT 2001

* Gary Laatsch <Gary_Laatsch at Phoenix.com>
*
I am looking at the defintions of control bits in Table 7 in section 4.2.2.3
of MM3 R7 and have a question about the "digital copy"(bit 1).  All the data
cd's I see have a "0" in this bit (value of 14h in the TOC).  But apparently
some are starting to come with a "1" (value of 16h in the TOC).  This
indicates that digital copying is prohibited on every disk I have seen so
far.  Of course this doesn't make sense to me and I am wondering if this is
a don't care bit if it is a data cd.  I cannot find a good definition on
these bits and the meaning in the spec.  Is there another document I can
look at to get a better definition and understanding. Or am I looking at the
wrong table?

Gary Laatsch
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Email:Gary_Laatsch at Phoenix.com
Phone:949-790-2107

"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame. "
     - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org