SBP-2 Targets

RICE,CHUCK (HP-Vancouver,ex1) chuck_rice at hp.com
Tue Sep 12 10:33:15 PDT 2000

* "RICE,CHUCK (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <chuck_rice at hp.com>
*
Hi All,

Recently I have been involved in some discussions about what constitutes an
SBP-2 Target; these discussions have pointed out some areas of the SBP-2
spec that are kind of fuzzy.  I'm posting this question to get an idea of
how this issue is viewed by the rest of the industry.

3.1.2.25 target: A node that receives device service or management requests
|from an initiator....

This has been interpreted to mean that there is only one SBP-2 target per
node.

4.1 Unit Architecture
In CSR architecture and Serial Bus terminology, targets implemented to this
standard are units.  A Serial Bus node that implements a target has a unit
directory in configuration ROM that identifies the presence and capabilities
of the target.

This implies that each SBP-2 unit directory is a separate target.

The case not covered by the SBP-2 specification is the one where there are
multiple instance directories each containing an SBP-2 unit directory.  Is
this one target or multiple targets?  I have been assuming that this
represents multiple targets; are my assumptions correct?

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck Rice
Software Engineer