the word "after" in SPI

Ralph Weber ralphoweber at CompuServe.COM
Wed Oct 18 05:23:52 PDT 2000

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
Curious!

IBM SPC-2 letter ballot comments 180, 188 and 191 all question the
use of the word "immediately".

I'd say Sriram should be free to quote IBM 188 when the time comes
for the SPI-4 letter ballot:

  "The term 'immediately' is used but what does it mean? As part of
  the current connection? As the first thing on the next connection?
  What? This needs to be quantified."

Note, the SPC-2 text being questioned by IBM 181 is:

  "The application client should issue a RECEIVE COPY RESULTS command
  with RECEIVE DATA service action immediately following completion
  of the EXTENDED COPY command to insure that the data is not
  discarded by the copy manager."

Confused in Dallas,

Ralph...

} * From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
} * Sriram Srinivasan <srirams at lsil.com>
} *
} George,
}
}    thanx for the clarification :)
}
}    regards,
}    sriram
}
} ~
} ~ Sriram,
} ~ The definition of after in the standard is the same as it
} ~ is in Webster's dictionary I quote:
} ~
} ~ following in time or place;
} ~ subsequent to in time or order;
} ~ subsequently to the time when;
} ~ later in time;
} ~
} ~ I don't know what could be clearer than that. As I see it
} ~ there is no difference between 'immediately after' and
} ~ 'after' as there is no difference between 1 nsec after
} ~ and 10 hours after both happen after the event and that
} ~ is all that is important.
} ~
} ~ Bye for now,
} ~ George Penokie
} ~
} ~ Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
} ~ E-Mail:    gpenokie at tivoli.com
} ~ Internal:  553-5208
} ~ External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880
} ~

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org