FCP-2 recovery problem

David A. Peterson dap at storage.network.com
Fri Jun 23 17:20:42 PDT 2000

* "David A. Peterson" <dap at storage.network.com>
--------------CD9FD922748CB058DC3A4948

I'd rather qualify the REC/SRR using OX_ID, CRN, LUN.
A max of 255 outstanding commands to a queueing tape lun works for me.
Are we trying to make the error recovery work/bullet-proof for disk?

> "Binford, Charles" wrote:
>
> Oops.  I forgot to consider I_T vs. I_T_L behavior on this.  I don't
> think the CRN (at 8 bits) is large enough to close the hole (it wraps
> too soon).

> in favor of something that will work. :-)  I consider my layering
> argument less important than the compatibility issues of enlarging the
> payload.  There are not enough reserved bytes to not change the
> payload size and have enough bits to close the hole.  Therefore, I'm
> back to Dave's change the parameter data.
>
> *******
> Details for those interested in why my CRN suggestion won't work:
>
> Suppose I have two non-queuing tape devices behind bridge being
> represented as two LUNs behind a single target.  Take Dave's original
> scenario, add my CRN field in the REC and we still come up short.
>
> **** from Dave's original email with CRN info added *****
> Initiator                                        Target
>
> CMD ---------------------------->
>
> 1. A command (e.g. Test Unit Ready) is sent to the target with
> OX_ID=1. (CRN=5)
>
>            <---------------------------     Response
>
> 2. A "good" response is sent back to the initiator. The initiator gets
>
> the response and knows the TUR command has been completed, so the
> exchange resources are freed. The target has sent the response, so it
> saves the exchange information just in case the initiator needs to
> recover a dropped response with REC/SRR.
>
> CMD ---------------------------->  X (dropped frame)
>
> 3. A new command (e.g. SPACE forward 1 block) is sent to the target
> with
> OX_ID = 1 (AND CRN=6). This OX_ID reuse can occur for many reasons in
> various
> systems. The command never makes it to the target because of a bit
> error.
>
> REC ------------------------------>
>
> 4. The initiator sends an REC ELS command to the target to make sure
> all
> is well with OX_ID 1 (and CRN=6).
>
> ******* end cut and paste from Dave's email ******
>
> At this point my plan is working - single LUN.  But consider
> Multi-LUN.  IF you change the scenario only slightly we break:
>
> CMD ------OX_ID=1, CRN=6, LUN=1 ---------------------->
>
>            <---------------------------     Response
>
> CMD -----OX_ID=1, CRN=6, LUN=2 ----->  X (dropped frame)
>
> REC -----OX_ID=1, CRN=6  -------------------->
>
> The target can't tell if host wants LUN=1 data (lost response) or if
> the host is really talking about the lost CMD to LUN=2
>
> With Dave's proposal an initiator can increment the payload field of
> the FCP_CMD frame every time he sends it out.  He only needs to track
> it for the open exchanges.  Because this is a 32 bit field the wrap
> time is so long we don't have to worry about it.  That is why it
> works!
>
> Charles Binford
> LSI Logic Storage Systems
> (316) 636-8566

begin:vcard
n:Peterson;David
tel;cell:612-251-6229
tel;work:763-391-1008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:StorageTek;Minnesota Research and Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:dap at network.com
title:Principal Engineer
fn:David A. Peterson