Reservation question

David A. Peterson dap at storage.network.com
Mon Aug 21 19:59:55 PDT 2000

* "David A. Peterson" <dap at storage.network.com>
--------------E8F040A4D34D2A9DF5FDC2F7

Howdy All,

FCP-2 rules for non-persistent device reservations:
LOGO/PLOGI: the device reservation shall be cleared only for the SCSI
Initiator port initiating the action (this includes explicit and
implicit LOGO/PLOGI)
PRLI: the device reservation shall be cleared only for the SCSI
Initiator port initiating the action if "establish image pair =1"
PRLO: the device reservation shall be cleared only for the SCSI
Initiator port initiating the action (this includes explicit and
implicit PRLO)

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com wrote:

 > * Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
 > *
 > My reading of the standard says that a STOP UNIT or START UNIT have no
 > effect on reservations.  Only a RELEASE command or a reset (power cycle,
 > SCSI BUS RESET, TARGET RESET, LUN RESET) should release a reservation. I'm
 > not familiar with the rules for LOGOUT and LOGIN on fibre channel -- I'll
 > let someone else answer that. The drive should remember the reservation
 > state while spun down and after being spun back up again. While the drive
 > is spun down, it is allowed to report CHECK CONDITION status with NOT READY
 > sense bytes instead of RESERVATION CONFLICT (the standard doesn't impose
 > any preferred order, although there is wording that tries to prefer BUSY,
 > QUEUE FULL, or RESERVATION CONFLICT over CHECK CONDITION).
 >
 > I checked this against the Seagate drive implementation and found that our
 > drives do preserve reservation information through spin down/spin up
 > cycles. Its nice to know that our drives do what I think they should.
 >
 > gop at us.ibm.com@t10.org on 08/21/2000 09:02:33 AM
 >
 > Sent by:  owner-t10 at t10.org
 >
 > To:   t10 at t10.org
 > cc:
 >
 > Subject:  Reservation question

 > * gop at us.ibm.com
 > *
 > For your Monday morning SCSI question I have the following:
 >
 > Is a RESERVATION (that's a normal reservation not a persistent one)
 > preserved through a START/STOP command being issued with a stop?
 >
 > Bye for now,
 > George Penokie
 >
 > Dept Z9V  114-2 N212
 > E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
 > Internal:  553-5208
 > External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880
 >
 > *
 >
 > *
--------------E8F040A4D34D2A9DF5FDC2F7

begin:vcard
n:Peterson;David
tel;cell:612-251-6229
tel;work:763-391-1008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:StorageTek;Minnesota Research and Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:dap at network.com
title:Chief Architect - Network Interface Development
fn:David A. Peterson
end:vcard

--------------E8F040A4D34D2A9DF5FDC2F7--

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org