Reservation question

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Mon Aug 21 16:22:01 PDT 2000

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
My reading of the standard says that a STOP UNIT or START UNIT have no
effect on reservations.  Only a RELEASE command or a reset (power cycle,
SCSI BUS RESET, TARGET RESET, LUN RESET) should release a reservation. I'm
not familiar with the rules for LOGOUT and LOGIN on fibre channel -- I'll
let someone else answer that. The drive should remember the reservation
state while spun down and after being spun back up again. While the drive
is spun down, it is allowed to report CHECK CONDITION status with NOT READY
sense bytes instead of RESERVATION CONFLICT (the standard doesn't impose
any preferred order, although there is wording that tries to prefer BUSY,
QUEUE FULL, or RESERVATION CONFLICT over CHECK CONDITION).

I checked this against the Seagate drive implementation and found that our
drives do preserve reservation information through spin down/spin up
cycles. Its nice to know that our drives do what I think they should.

gop at us.ibm.com@t10.org on 08/21/2000 09:02:33 AM

Sent by:  owner-t10 at t10.org