Docs for CAP in Sept. (00-287r1)

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Tue Aug 15 14:15:23 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 01:33 PM 8/15/00, hafner at almaden.ibm.com wrote:

>1) The TransportID uses Byte0 to identify the transport (00h=SPI, 01h=FCP)

Jim, I think the document ought to define values for all SAM-compatible
transports that have been specified by T10.

For example, how about some value for SBP-2?

In the same vein, how is the continued registry of this field to be
handled? If the IETF, under the work program of the IP Storage group (aka
iSCSI) develops a SAM-compatible transport, how are they to obtain an
Access ID value?

Last suggestion---and I admit it might betray the fact that I haven't been
following this closely. Is the length of Access ID, one byte, cast in
concrete? If not what about 48-bits of Access ID, split into a 24-bit OUI
obtained from the IEEE (T10 already owns one such number) followed by a
24-bit version whose definition is left to the owner of the OUI. This could
get you out of the numbers registration business...

Even if my last suggestion gains no supporters, I think you need to address
the first two concerns.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.