FCP-2 Table 4 Clearing Effects

Lawrence Chen Larry.Chen at ebay.sun.com
Thu Aug 10 17:37:57 PDT 2000

* Lawrence Chen <Larry.Chen at ebay.sun.com>
*
Looking at FCP-2 Rev 04,
Table 4 - Clearing Effects of SCSI Initiator Actions

Can someone explain the rational for clearing Device Reservations for
LOGO/PLOGI and PRLI/PRLO ??

For many pieces of FC hardware as of today, this means that Lip(F7)s
will cause Device Reservations to be cleared. I think this
behavior is too drastic in cluster configs; i.e.,  if one host is rebooting
then the other "alive" host's Device Reservation can get effected due to a
Lip(F7). Shouldn't the reboot be as transparent as possible to the "alive"
host ??

Lastly, I realize the Persistent Reservations do NOT behave this way
(but this won't help me here).

--
Larry Chen
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Email: larry.chen at ebay.sun.com
Phone: (510) 574-9779  Fax: (510) 574-9822

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org