FCP-2 Table 4 Clearing Effects

Binford, Charles cbinford at lsil.com
Fri Aug 11 06:45:36 PDT 2000

* "Binford, Charles" <cbinford at lsil.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0039A.6DEA9B34

LOGO/PLOGI and PRLI/PRLO has *always* been treated as a reset who's
scope is limited to that initiator.  Look at original FCP - is says PRLI
causes a device to post a power up unit attention.  That event has
always cleared reservations.

As far as LIP(f7) causing your reservations to be cleared, I'd say it
another way.  The actions the host driver chose for its post-lip
processing cleared the reservation.  The standards (starting with PLDA)
describe using ADISC or PDISC as the post-lip processing.  Had your host
driver chosen this action the reservations would have been left intact.

Charles Binford
LSI Logic Storage Systems
(316) 636-8566

 ]
> Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 7:38 PM
> To: t10 at t10.org
> Cc: rsnively at Brocade.COM; fc at network.com; larry.chen at ebay.sun.com
> Subject: FCP-2 Table 4 Clearing Effects
>

> *
> * From the fc reflector, posted by:
> * Lawrence Chen <Larry.Chen at ebay.sun.com>
> *
> Looking at FCP-2 Rev 04,
> Table 4 - Clearing Effects of SCSI Initiator Actions
>
> Can someone explain the rational for clearing Device Reservations for
> LOGO/PLOGI and PRLI/PRLO ??
>
> For many pieces of FC hardware as of today, this means that Lip(F7)s
> will cause Device Reservations to be cleared. I think this
> behavior is too drastic in cluster configs; i.e.,  if one host is
> rebooting
> then the other "alive" host's Device Reservation can get
> effected due to
> Lip(F7). Shouldn't the reboot be as transparent as possible to the
> "alive"
> host ??
>
> Lastly, I realize the Persistent Reservations do NOT behave this way
> (but this won't help me here).
>
> --
> Larry Chen
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> Network Storage Division
> Email: larry.chen at ebay.sun.com
> Phone: (510) 574-9779  Fax: (510) 574-9822

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0039A.6DEA9B34

RE: FCP-2 Table 4 Clearing Effects LOGO/PLOGI and PRLI/PRLO has *always* been treated as = a reset who's scope is limited to that initiator.  Look at = original FCP - is says PRLI causes a device to post a power up unit = attention.  That event has always cleared reservations. As far as LIP(f7) causing your reservations to be = cleared, I'd say it another way.  The actions the host driver = chose for its post-lip processing cleared the reservation.  The = standards (starting with PLDA) describe using ADISC or PDISC as the = post-lip processing.  Had your host driver chosen this action the = reservations would have been left intact. Charles Binford
LSI Logic Storage Systems
(316) 636-8566