stds-1394: RE: SBP-2 Study Group

Atsushi Nakamura Atsushi_Nakamura at cbj.canon.co.jp
Wed Aug 9 18:22:15 PDT 2000

* "Atsushi Nakamura" <Atsushi_Nakamura at cbj.canon.co.jp>
*

If it is decided that work is done on a peer to peer SBP-2, I would like to
see the outcome

1) not be "yet another protocol", and it remains "SBP-2" as we see it today
2) does not sacrifice the effeciency and simpleness it has today as
    a master-slave transport.

I believe there are/will be master/slave applications which
will make full use of the characteristic of SBP-2, well tuned for
master/slave.
Though it would be ideal if SBP-2 can handle both, it would not be worth
much if too much burden (inclucing compatibility) is put on the original
protocol, or significant changes are required for the new protocol which
results in something drastically different from what we have now.

Afterall, we already have good peer to peer symmetric protocols in
the world of 1394.

Atsushi Nakamura
Canon

$B08 at h(B: "'Peter Johansson'" <PJohansson at ACM.org>, NCITS T10 <T10 at t10.org>
cc:   IEEE 1394 <STDS-1394 at ieee.org>, 1394 TA <1394-SIG at 1394TA.org>, "P1394.3"
       <STDS-1394-3 at ieee.org> (bcc: Atsushi Nakamura/B/Canon Inc/JP)
$B7oL>(B: stds-1394: RE: SBP-2 Study Group

The biggest criticism I always get about SBP-2 is that it is
Master/Slave (Initiator/Target) in a world where many
appliances might prefer to operate peer to peer. I realize
that for SBP-2 this also has many advantages.

Any chance of discussing alternative ways to address this issue?
Besides just saying that a device support both roles.

Thanks,
Alan Berkema
Engineer Scientist
Hewlett Packard MS# 5558