SBP-2 Study Group

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Wed Aug 9 11:31:34 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 10:03 AM 8/8/00, Chang, Ben wrote:

>I support adding features to SBP-2 (e.g. for scanners, etc.), but makers
>of existing SBP-2 devices (e.g. HDD) need to understand which functions
>are optional (for them). The clarification probably belongs in RBC or
>other disk profile, but the distinction should be clear. I just want to
>make sure that SBP-2 changes appropriately ripple through to RBC.

Ben, SBP-2 and RBC (reduced block commands, a command set for disk drives)
are orthogonal to each other. SBP-2 is a transport, RBC a command set.

Proposed new features in SBP-2 (for example, isochronous) are likely to be
optional since not all classes of device which wish to use the transport
would necessarily need these features.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.