SBP-2 Study Group

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Thu Aug 3 13:53:02 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
With the approval of the T10 Chair, I intend to convene a study group to
discuss amendment, extension or revision of SBP-2. The meeting will take
place in Huntington Beach, CA, during the T10 meeting the week of September
11 - 15, 2000.

THE PURPOSE of this message is TO POLL prospective participants with
respect to one of two meeting times:

A) 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, Wednesday, September 13

	--- OR ---

B) 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, Friday, September 15

Note that in both cases the meeting is likely to be much shorter, on the
order of two to four hours. The times I give above are merely the maximum
time we would have a room.

A possible negative against choice A) is that the SCSI CAP meeting occurs
concurrently (we may lose some otherwise interested parties to that working
group) while a possible negative against choice B) is that many T10
participants would rather be gone by Friday (at least it's an AM meeting,
so you can catch a flight home). If the study group meeting is not too
long, perhaps it's possible to arrange the CAP agenda to avoid conflict of
interest.

To help you assess your interest in this study group, a tentative agenda
for discussion is:

a) Reduced start-up latency from idle condition
b) Explicit description of how to transport 16-byte or larger CDBs
c) SBP modifications necessary for IEEE P1394.1 environment (Serial Bus
bridges)
d) Isochronous facilities in SBP
e) Bi-directional data transfer (new ORB type)
f) Other items suggested by participants

There would be educational presentations made on a) and c) above.

The goal of the study group is to determine if a new work item should be
initiated and, if so, what should be its scope.

I have copied this to more than just the T10 reflector because possible
revisions to SBP-2 are of interest to a wider audience.

PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO ME and keep the reflectors uncluttered.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue