SBP-2

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Wed Aug 2 14:58:38 PDT 2000

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 01:24 PM 8/2/00, Gene_Milligan%SEAGATE at Seagate.COM wrote:

>Is this "bringing" [of bidiectionality] in the form of deltas to SBP-2 or
>in the form of deltas to 1394?

As always, trust your own conclusions first and foremost. I refer you to
the draft of IEEE P1394.3 (there are problems with the IEEE server and I
can't supply a URL; anyone needing a copy should contact me directly).

In my opinion, IEEE P1394.3 contains only very minor deltas to SBP-2 and
none whatsoever to IEEE 1394. See Annex B for divergences from current ANSI
NCITS 325-1998.

The bulk of IEEE P1394.3 requires no changes to SBP-2; it is an explanation
of a method which may be used to enable bidirectional, peer-to-peer
communications to SBP-2. If this problem were approached from scratch in
SBP, we might do the same thing or we might find a superior alternative.

>Approval of letter ballot comments (if any) for the ISO/IEC version of
>SBP-2 (currently the same as the ANS) is to be on the agenda for the
>September T10 meeting. Should any of the p1394.3 product be considered for
>the US comments (if any) for ISO/IEC SBP-2?

Perhaps so. I think the matters addressed in Annex B are appropriate for US
comment on ISO/IEC SBP-2. I say this because the divergences are minor and,
in my opinion, in no way violate any of the original goals of SBP-2.

I expect to be at the T10 plenary Thursday, September 14, and if time is
granted on the agenda can make a brief presentation.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue