Re x+2: SAM-2 Revision 11

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Tue Sep 14 20:11:13 PDT 1999

* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*
<< 4.10.1: "A single Task
Manager and collection of Logical Units share all the SCSI Devices
and Service Delivery ports in the SMU.">>

     I was reacting to the statement in your Email not to the wording in
SAM-2. At first reading the above looked wrong to me but after stumbling
through it more carefully it is OK if there is not a clearer way to say the
same thing. Since Device Server is used so prominently I think it would be
better if the Device Server were included in the definition.

     I am uncertain about a single task manager. It may be OK. But
hopefully it is clear that a single task manager does not mandate a single
task set. In the case of multiple task sets per LUN per Initiator I think
this could also be viewed as a task manager per task set with flawless
intercommunications between task managers shared by the device server. In
addition keep in mind from the initiators view there is a task set manager
per LUN and the initiator has to associate these multiple task set managers
with a single device server or at least a single media through the WWN or
equivelant.

<<The phone numbers
belong to the telephones, not the people talking on them
(regardless of how tempted we might be to think otherwise).>>

     Actually they don't. The number belongs to the drop connecting the
house, This is a single ported instance. In my single ported house I have
three phones and two modems that may answer. I had a dual ported home I
would have two phone numbers and the world wide name (abbreviated) of both
numbers is Milligan residence.

Gene

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org