Status of ATAPI as a SCSI transport?

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Fri May 28 12:39:15 PDT 1999

* Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.gmd.de>
*
>From t10-owner at Symbios.COM Fri May 28 21:32:38 1999

>* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
>* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
>*
><<This confusion comes from the fact that if someone
>looks at the SCSI documents they find that SCSI has several "transports",
>such as, SPI, FC, 1394, but there is no reference to ATA/ATAPI.  How can
>this be fixed and when will this be fixed?>>

>     I think you are mistaken Hale. My recollection is that MMC has a
>clause or an annex, I forget which, specifically dealing with the use of
>the ATA/ATAPI transport.

Why then does the ATAPI inquiry retun data violate the SCSI standard?

ATAPI states to have SCSI-1 compliant reponse data. It this was correct,
you were not allowed to set the page format bit in mode select.

It caused me pain to make my SCSI transport lib deal with this silly deviation
|from the SCSI standard. In general, an application should not need to know
whether a drive is ATAPI or vanilla SCSI.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com