2 TByte Barrier

Brian A. Berg bberg at bswd.com
Fri May 14 09:21:42 PDT 1999

* bberg at bswd.com (Brian A. Berg)
*
Thanks very much to George Penokie and Jim McGrath for the comments
and IBM story.

Just as a point of reference with regard to this comment from George:

> ... Yes, 2 TBytes is allot of data under one logical
> unit but 10 years ago putting 1 Gbyte in one logical unit was inconceivable.

12" WORM optical disks available in late 1984, and more reliably in
1985, used 1 GByte removable media.  Kodak's 14" WORM drives available
in 1987/1988 used media with a capacity of 3.4 Gbytes per side.

There are probably other examples as well, and I don't intend to start
a cavalcade of comments that distract from the point being made.
However, I wanted to provide just a bit of history.  Thank you.
 Brian A. Berg            bberg at bswd.com        Voice: 408.741.5010
 Berg Software Design                             FAX: 408.741.5234
 P.O. Box 3488         http://www.bswd.com/
 14363 Saratoga Ave., Suite 200      Consulting: SCSI, storage, I/O
 Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com