FC-TAPE Minutes March 1999, Harrisburg PA.

STEWART_R_WYATT at HP-Boise-om2.om.hp.com STEWART_R_WYATT at HP-Boise-om2.om.hp.com
Fri Mar 12 07:36:46 PST 1999


* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
* STEWART_R_WYATT at HP-Boise-om2.om.hp.com
*
     Joint T10/T11 FC_TAPE AdHoc Meeting                          
     T11/99-147v0
     March 9, 1999 Harrisburg Pennsylvania
     Stewart Wyatt, HP, Secretary
     
     1. Introductions: Group
     
     Dale LaFollette called the group to order shortly after 1 Pm and had 
     the group introduce themselves. A severe winter storm was in progress 
     in the midwest. This had delayed the arrival of some of the 
     participants. Dave Peterson, StorageTek, the editor was unable to 
     leave Minnesota because of the storm and missed the meeting.
     
     2. Approval of this agenda: T11/99-115v0 Group
     
     The agenda was approved with the addition of two items:
     Fibre Channel tape connectors: Stewart Wyatt
     Read Retry: Rob Basham
     
     3. Approval of 2/10 Minutes: T11/99-104v0 Stewart Wyatt - Approved.
     
     4. Review Old Action Items: Stewart Wyatt
     
     #1. Dave Peterson/Bob Snively - Update the error recovery 
     documentation to resolve the time-out for ELS.
     #2. Group - Resolve the issue of signalling support for FC-Tape error 
     recovery, CRN support and data overlay in either/or inquiry data, mode 
     pages, PRLI or by some other means.
     #3. Group - Consider the effects of transferring sequence initiative 
     by means of the SRR. Is there a better way?
     #4. Bob Snively - Consider whether SRR is SCSI specific. Put in an 
     annex in FCP2 for inclusion later in the FC-FS.
     #5. Dave Peterson - Report the omission of BLS time-out in FC-PH.
     #6. Dave Peterson - Consider modifying the tape model to require that 
     the tape power up uninitialized, unloaded state. SSC
     #7. Dave Baldwin - Investigate eliminating TPRLO.
     #8 Dave Peterson/group - Resolution of need for authentication 
     documentation.
     
     Item number 4 was closed during the FC-Tape review, see the notes 
     below. On item #7, Dave Ford reported that Clariion uses TPRLO. Since 
     Dave Baldwin and Dave Peterson were not present, the remaining action 
     items were forwarded to the next meeting. The secretary took an action 
     item to post the current action items to the reflector before the next 
     meeting.
     
     5. SSC: T10 Working Drafts Dave Peterson
     
     Dale LaFollete reported on a phone conversation that he had with Dave 
     Peterson just before the meeting. Dave asked Dale to review two SSC 
     items.
     
     The first item was to review the additions for TapeAlert in clause 
     5.2.1 page 31. Eric Oetting referred to a comment from Tom Jackson, 
     Exabyte, requested the pooling frequency be relaxed from precisely 
     every 60 seconds, which the text implies, to approximately every 60 
     seconds. This was reviewed and approved. Rob Basham, IBM, wanted some 
     vendor unique information provided by TapeAlert. His specific example 
     was to identify a failing FRU for service personnel. The group 
     discussed the applicability and appropriateness of reporting this 
     information. Bob Snively thought George Penokie had developed a 
     solution for this problem for SMART.
     
     Dave's second item was the DCC (data compression capable) bit in the 
     data compression mode page in clause 5.4.3.1 on page 55 (pdf page 65) 
     and Table 39, Compression Algorithm Identifiers on page 58 (pdf page 
     68). Dave had edited the text to clarify the definitions for 
     identifier 00, No algorithm selected (identifies uncompressed data). 
     Dave's change was approved by the group.
     
     Another concern was raised that data compression is redundantly 
     specified in two different pages. The second one being the Device 
     Configuration page byte 14, Select Data Compression Algorithm, in 
     Table 39, page 59 (pdf page 69). This group decided to obsolete this 
     parameter
     
     The suggestion was made that the data compression algorithm should be 
     reported in a similar manner to reporting density algorithms. Eric 
     Oetting, StorageTek, took an action item to think about it.
     
     6. FCP-2: T10 Working Drafts Bob Snively
     
     Bob reported to the group that he had not had the time to update the 
     FCP-2. He promised to have a new draft available before the next 
     meeting and solicited inputs on the existing draft.
     
     7. FC-TAPE Document Review: T11/99-069v1: Dave Peterson
     
     Dave had provided Dale with two issues for FC-TAPE that he wished the 
     group to review. The first was enabling FC-TAPE with a PRLI bit versus 
     a mode page. No conclusion was reached.
     
     The second item was an action from the last meeting, transferring 
     sequence initiative using SRR. Bob Snively, SUN, championed the 
     discussion over concern that it violated FC-PH. Matt Wakeley, HP, saw 
     it operating similarly to RSI (Request Sequence Initiative) ELS which 
     is already in FC-PH. The group agreed to close the action item with 
     instructions to the editor to add text to the SRR specifically stating 
     that it transfers sequence initiative, if the transfer is necessary to 
     complete the error recovery.
     
     The last item that Dave had requested was to schedule an editors 
     meeting. Dale reported that Dave has 40 open comments, 30 of which are 
     editorial and 10 are technical. Dave feels like he can finish the 
     comments without additional input from this group. He hopes to forward 
     the next draft, with all of the letter ballot comments resolved, at 
     next months T11 meeting. That version could be forwarded for another 
     letter ballot or for first public review, public review being the more 
     popular option considering the implementations in progress.
     
     Matt Wakeley objected to calling a meeting without a clear view of the 
     issues that needed resolving and an agenda. Stewart Wyatt asked if 
     after the final draft was available for review and a list of issues 
     provided, if a teleconference could be held instead of a meeting. Matt 
     and Stewart were concerned about reviewing FC-TAPE without reviewing 
     the material that is being removed for inclusion in FCP-2. Bob Snively 
     promised to provide an updated draft of FCP-2 by March 19. 
     The actions that were agreed to was for Dave to provide a draft at 
     least two weeks before the next meeting to comply with the two week 
     rule and post the issues to the reflector. The group took an action 
     item to review the letter ballot resolutions in preparation and post 
     any disagreements to the reflector.
     
     8. T10 New Business: Group 
     
     Fibre Channel Tape Connector: Stewart Wyatt
     
     Stewart Wyatt, HP, reluctantly took the floor to discuss a connector 
     proposal that he had forwarded to the SFF committee. The current 
     SFF-8067 connector does not have adequate 5 volt power capability and 
     so cannot be used for 5 1/4 form factor tape drives. Stewart proposed 
     using the 68 pin connector of the same family as the 40 pin SFF-8067 
     connector to provide additional power lines while retaining the 
     functionality of the original 40 pins. Stewart's proposal also 
     included ten vendor unique pins to provide a connection to a library 
     controller. What proved to be most controversial was changing the pin 
     ordering defined on the SFF-8067 connector to make it easier for tape 
     vendors to connect their gigabit serial signals to it. The 8067 
     specification has both receiver pins at one end of the connector and 
     both transmitter pins at the other end of the connector. Both 
     integrated and discrete transceivers would logically group the 
     receiver and transmitter pins for each port together at the opposite 
     ends of the connector. A formal proposal will be circulated on the 
     Fibre Channel reflector before the next meeting.
     
     Lan Free Backup
     
     Considerable effort has been spent in developing an extended copy 
     command. Representatives of Crossroads and Intelliguard attended the 
     meeting to present their first draft. A representative of Pathlight 
     was prevented from attending by the weather.
     
     The first presentation was by Geoff Hoese, Crossroads. Geoff send 
     through a set of overheads that provided an introduction to Lanfree 
     Backup.Then Craig Johnston, Intelliguard, and Steve Wilson, 
     Crossroads, reviewed the Extended Copy Command proposal, T10/99-143v0. 
     After their presentation the facilitator thanked them for their 
     presentation. This proposal is a first draft and comments are welcome. 
     The editor is Jim Orh, StorageTek. The developers would like to move 
     the responsibility for the proposal to T10 and have it included in the 
     SPC. They were encouraged to approach the T10 plenary the next morning 
     to present their proposal.
     
     9. T11 New Business: Group
     
     Rob Basham, IBM, had asked to discuss read retries. Rob was concerned 
     that host bus adapters were assuming that when an error occurred 
     during a fixed block read that the retry would occur at the zero 
     offset. In this case the transfer length can exceed the buffer length 
     and so the data will have to be recovered by rereading the media. Rob 
     gave an example of recovering data from a worn out tape where the 
     chances of recovering the data decrease with each read. If the HBA 
     discarded data that had been recovered before the error occurred, the 
     chance of recovering all of the data is diminished. Rob was also 
     concerned that in this type of environment that the errors reported in 
     the logs would be overstated, causing problems with his customers. 
     Rob's conclusion was that he wanted to discourage HBA designers from 
     taking the easy way out during recovery by starting at the zero offset 
     if the recovery could begin at a later point in the read.
     
     Food was available and the group was worn out, everyone left but the 
     facilitator and the secretary before the last two action items were 
     concluded.
     
     10. Review New Action Items: Stewart Wyatt
     
     Action items carried over from last meeting:
     #1. Dave Peterson/Bob Snively - Update the error recovery 
     documentation to resolve the time-out for ELS.
     #2. Group - Resolve the issue of signalling support for FC-Tape error 
     recovery, CRN support and data overlay in either/or inquiry data, mode 
     pages, PRLI or by some other means.
     #3. Bob Snively - Consider whether SRR is SCSI specific. Put in an 
     annex in FCP2 for inclusion later in the FC-FS.
     #4. Dave Peterson - Report the omission of BLS time-out in FC-PH.
     #5. Dave Peterson - Consider modifying the tape model to require that 
     the tape power up uninitialized, unloaded state. SSC
     #6. Dave Baldwin - Investigate eliminating TPRLO. (Note that Dave Ford 
     reported that Clariion does use this command.)
     #7. Dave Peterson/group - Resolution of need for authentication 
     documentation.
     #8. Dave Peterson will attempt to document EOD behavior more precisely 
     in the SSC.
     
     New Action items.
     #1. Dave Peterson - Several reviewers noticed problems with the latest 
     draft of the profile. Check the master pages for revision and spelling 
     in the headers. In addition there are many cases of missing letters. 
     These usually occur at the end of the line but sometimes occur in the 
     middle of a line as well.
     #2. Dale LaFollete - Check on status of new TapeAlert flags.
     #3. Stewart Wyatt - Bob Snively questioned how TapeAlert flags are 
     cleared. He felt the flag should not be cleared until the underlying 
     cause had been corrected. He felt the text was unclear. Stewart will 
     forward his concerns to Stephen Gold for comment.
     #4. Dave Peterson - Clean up TapeAlert description using appropriate 
     standards text.
     #5 Erich Oetting - Consider specifying the compression algorithm like 
     supported density is specified.
     #6 Stewart Wyatt - Post Fibre Channel tape connector specification to 
     the reflector before the next meeting.
     #7 Bob Snively - Provide an updated copy of the FCP-2 by March 19th.
     #8 Dave Peterson - Provide an updated copy of FC-TAPE on or before 
     April 1. Post issues to the reflector.
     #9 Group - Review letter ballot comments and post disagreements to the 
     reflector
     #10 Stewart Wyatt - Post action items to the reflector two weeks 
     before the next meeting.
     #11 Dave Peterson - See item 5 in the minutes for changes to the data 
     compression related mode pages.
     #12 Dave Peterson - See item 7 in the minutes for changes to the SRR 
     text description.
     
     11 Adjournment: Group - The room was empty by 6:45
     

*
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com





More information about the T10 mailing list