Updated FC-TAPE & DISK Connector w/8 channels

Bob Snively Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM
Wed Jul 28 10:04:34 PDT 1999

* Bob Snively <Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM>
*

> > drives.  There are at least four separate connector mounting systems that
> > have been worked out to allow the board to be in different locations,
> while
> > keeping the connector in a fixed location.
>
> Are any of these connector mounting systems as space-efficient as directly
> mounting the connector on the circuit board (as viewed from the drive's
> perspective)? We are currently grazing volumetric limits in what can be
> achieved in a 5.25", Half Height form factor.

Joe,

	These schemes actually improve volumetric efficiency.  The systems I
	know about include:

		pin-through hole above card
		smt above card
		straddle card
		right-angle on paddle card (which makes the vertical axis
			available for both passive and active parts).

	I am pretty sure that there are several variations on each of those
	allowing significant displacements with respect to the card surfaces.

> > The reason SCA-2 is a success is precisely that the drive connector is in
> > a fixed location relative to key mounting holes.  Admittedly, tape drives
>
> So it appears to me that you plan on connecting tape drives directly to a
> backplane? Or are there other benefits of fixing the location of the
> connector that I have not envisioned?

See Jim McKain's letter and Arlan Stone's letter.  We all want the
capability of sliding drives straight into a slot with a connector at
the back.  They want that capability for all tape drives from all
manufacturers that would be about the size of that slot.  They probably
want to design common rail, guide and retention  hardware among all
those vendors, as well, so it is critical that front dimensions and
mounting hole locations and dimensions be constant for each class of
tape drive (3.5" any height and 5.25" any height). Whether they choose
to run a backplane to the back of the slot, a flex circuit to the back
of the slot, or a cable to the back of the slot is part of their added
value.  I personally would usually use a backplane, depending on the
physical requirements.

Bob

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org