Updated FC-TAPE & DISK Connector w/8 channels

JoeBre at Exabyte.COM JoeBre at Exabyte.COM
Wed Jul 28 08:53:06 PDT 1999

* JoeBre at Exabyte.COM

From: Bob Snively [mailto:Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 1:36 PM
To: curtr at lsil.com; Paul_A_Suhler at notes.seagate.com
Cc: sff_reflector at sun.com; fc at nsg0.network.com; t10 at t10.org
Subject: Re: Updated FC-TAPE & DISK Connector w/8 channels

> drives.  There are at least four separate connector mounting systems that
> have been worked out to allow the board to be in different locations,
while
> keeping the connector in a fixed location.

Are any of these connector mounting systems as space-efficient as directly
mounting the connector on the circuit board (as viewed from the drive's
perspective)? We are currently grazing volumetric limits in what can be
achieved in a 5.25", Half Height form factor.

> The reason SCA-2 is a success is precisely that the drive connector is in
> a fixed location relative to key mounting holes.  Admittedly, tape drives

So it appears to me that you plan on connecting tape drives directly to a
backplane? Or are there other benefits of fixing the location of the
connector that I have not envisioned?

Joe Breher
Exabyte Corp.
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org