99-207r0 -- SAM-2 Changes For Queuing

David A. Peterson dap at nsg0.network.com
Mon Jul 5 09:08:33 PDT 1999

* "David A. Peterson" <dap at nsg0.network.com>
--------------2536864626434D3461F62648

Howdy Ralph,
With regards to a paragraph in 99-207r0:

"Before proceeding to the issues and proposals, I wish to comment on one
statement made during the
May meeting. The statement was, "It seems that TASK SET FULL should be
implemented
regardless." While the statement might be true when the implementation
is an FCP-2 device, it is not
true for all SCSI devices. A parallel SCSI device is allowed to
implement only untagged tasks and in
such an implementation the TASK SET FULL status need not (indeed should
not) be supported."

I believe you have taken the statement "It seems that TASK SET FULL
should be implemented regardless."
out of context. From an email I sent in 3/99:

>SAM-2r10 states in clause 5.2:

>TASK SET FULL. This status shall be implemented if the logical unit
>supports the creation
>of tagged tasks (see 4.9). This status shall be returned when the
>logical unit receives a
>command and does not have enough resources to enter the associated task
>in the task set.

>SAM-2r10 states in clause 4.8:

>A Task Set is composed of zero or more Untagged Tasks or a combination
>of zero or more
>Tagged Tasks and zero or more Untagged Tasks.

>So it seems to me TASK SET FULL should be implemented regardless.

What I was saying was that my reading of the text definition(s) in SAM-2
rev. 10
required that TASK SET FULL be implemented no matter what.
In looking at your proposed text change(s) for the definition of TASK
SET
FULL (i.e change "command" to "tagged task") seems to address the issue.
Still digesting the changes and am glad to see this work happening.
See ya all next week.

Dave

Ralph Weber wrote:

> * From the T10 Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
> * Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at csi.com>
> *
> I have completed the proposal for SAM-2 changes regarding tagged tasks
> and untagged tasks as requested by the May Working Group.  The proposal
> is available at:
>
> <ftp://ftp.symbios.com/pub/standards/io/t10/document.99/99-207r0.pdf>
>
> Careful review of the proposal is recommended.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ralph...

> * 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com
--------------2536864626434D3461F62648