Consideration of resets, FCP-2

Binford, Charles cbinford at lsil.com
Thu Dec 16 06:40:27 PST 1999

* "Binford, Charles" <charles.binford at lsil.com>
*
See comments below.

Charles Binford
LSI Logic Storage Systems
(316) 636-8566

* Bob Snively <Bob.Snively at EBay.Sun.COM>
*

I am proposing the following changes in FCP-2, to be documented in
T10/99-325r2.  Please review, and indicate if you disagree with this
approach.

8.5 Consideration of resets

[text deleted....]

I believe that an appropropiate note should be included in FCP-2
revision 4, associated with the clearing table, to specify that FLOGI
has no clearing effect on any parameters if none of the path-defining
parameters change.

****** cb comments *********
I agree.  However, to clarify and add a few details I'd say the following:
- If point-to-point topology:
  - If (FLOGI or FLOGI ACC received) && (WWPN || WWNN are different than
previous connected port)
    then clear login state and everything under that hierarchy.
- For FLA or fabric attach topologies:
  - if FLOGI ACC received (WWPN || WWNN are different than previous
connected (F_port)
    then send explicit LOGO to all logged in N_Ports and perform
corresponding clearing of parameters.

If none of the above are true, then FLOGI or FLOGI ACC have no effect on any
exchanges or FCP SCSI states.

Note, the "send explicit LOGO" idea comes directly from the third paragraph
under 23.5.3 (PH 4.3).  PH also says the port should wait R_A_TOV BEFORE
doing the explicit LOGO.
******** end cb comments **********

Review by e-mail, then accept if approved.

to be done in revision 04, if accepted.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org