Comment Resolution

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Wed Dec 15 10:08:33 PST 1999

* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*
Please excuse the extra hyphens in the stuff below. They are an artifact of
copying from the pdf.

<<Accept: Proposal A wording placed into section 4.8.3.1>>

     I can not find that section. Well I guess I did, it is 4.9.3.2.

<<SPI-3: 29.25) 25) (T) Page 192, Annex B:
Replace entire annex with:>>

     There does not appear to be a stated resolution of this comment.

     In Annex B a reference to 10.5.1 should be given in <<Whenever a
requirement for arbitration arises, a SCSI device shall first check to see if
its fairness register is clear.>>

<<Therefore, only those lower priority SCSI devices latched into the fairness
register at that time arbitrate ahead of this SCSI device.>>

     I think this statement is wrong. SCSI devices that have not previously
arbitrated may arbitrate at this time and all SCSI devices not using fairness
may arbitrate.

<<to detect which SCSI devices are attempting arbitration,>> should be "to
detect SCSI devices that are attempting arbitration," or "to detect SCSI devices
that are arbitrating,".

<<the data bus must be sampled after a bus set delay>> should be "the data bus
shall be sampled after a bus set delay". But on the other hand this seems
redundant to the earlier part of the paragraph and probably should be deleted.

Annex B, new I guess, uses <<nsec>>. I assume the rest of the document uses ns
and Annex B should use ns.

<<A SCSI device shall implement a lockout delay to prevent devices that stop
arbitrating from causing deadlock.>>

     There should be a reference to where the lockout delay is defined and how
it is used to prevent deadlock.

<<Interconnection of SCSI devices by means other than cables is allowed (e.g.,
by backplanes using printed wiring boards) (see annex J). Detailed descriptions
of these other means are not part of this standard; how-ever, they are subject
to the electrical requirements in sections 6.3.
Accept>>

     It is not clear to me what impact this had on maximum lengths.

<<Attach a 122 ohm resistor to the far end of the pair under test.
Accept>>

     Shouldn't this be "Attach a 122 ohm resistor across the far end of the pair
under test."

<<Board impedance shall be tightly controlled to within
5% of the impedance of the environment.>>

     What is the environment or where is it defined?

<<2) Connect a wire (short) to the sockets of the test fixture and perform a
?short? calibration as
specified by HP.>>

     Shouldn't there be a reference to where HP specifies this and how to obtain
the specification. Shouldn't an equivalent be allowed. Are we liable to a suit
|from LeCroy?

<<The text immediately following Figure 16 is incorrectly states as 50W single
ended to 150W differential. The 150W should be changed to 122W differential.
Accept>>

     The draft is OK  but the comment should be ohms.

<<Change L.5 as follows:
The READ BUFFER and WRITE BUFFER commands access physical buffers in the target.
Many im-plementations do not protect the buffer contents if there is an
intervening command from any other process. Therefore, the application client
should ensure that no other SCSI processes are active while performing tests.

The READ BUFFER and WRITE BUFFER commands include an echo buffer option that
provides buffer protection in multi-initiator environ-ments. Other mechanisms
that may help prevent buffer corruption in multiple initiator environments are
RESERVE/RELEASE and linked commands.
Accept>>

     Delete "Many".

<<d.5) After the bus free delay in step (b), SCSI devices with arbitration
fairness enabled which are not arbitrating shall wait a bus set delay and start
sampling the DATA BUS to determine which SCSI de-vices attempted arbitration,
which SCSI device won, and which SCSI devices lost. This sampling shall continue
for an arbitration delay after the bus free delay in step (b). Each SCSI device
shall update its fairness register with all lower-priority device IDs that lost
arbitration.>>

     Did you de-which this?

<<f) After the QAS arbitration delay in step (d), SCSI devices with arbitration
fairness enabled which are not arbitrating shall start sampling the DATA BUS to
determine which SCSI devices are attempting arbitration, which SCSI device won,
and which SCSI devices lost. This sampling shall continue for a bus settle delay
plus two system deskew delays. The devices shall update their fairness register
with all device IDs that lost in arbitration.
Accept>>

     Did you de-which this?

<<Change Verilog to ?Verilog® Hardware Description Language (IEEE 1364)?
Accept>>

     Did this result in an additional normative reference or an additional
informative reference?

<<In the first sentence ?...though reference in the text...? should be changed
to ?...though referenced in the text...?
Accept>>

     I think the comment was a misread and the change should be removed
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org